Growing up I did not have an example of a loving God Fearing Man. A man to teach me how to be a man. To teach me what it is to be honorable in all occasions and to be righteous. To teach me to love women and respect them. To teach me to put God first. To teach me to be kingdom minded and to have my money serve me. What I did have however is the complete opposite. A man who stole. Stole food from our home and sold it people around the corner. A man who abused (violently) my mother. A man who was an alcoholic. A man who took the Christmas gifts my mom bought and sold them. This was what I saw in the home growing up. I was not taught honor as a man.
1. Is Honor Valuable to You?
We can learn a lot about a person by who and what they choose to honor. One definition of honor is high respect, esteem. Another is “regard with great respect.” (Google Dictionary). What you honor you can receive. “He who receives a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet’s reward; and he who receives a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man’s reward (Matthew 10:41). If you honor and respect money, you open yourself up to receive, and if you honor and value Love you will receive it. Friendship, Respect,… you name it, if you honor it you can receive it. When you honor something and take time to learn about it, you can discern the good from the bad, truth from false, in doing that you will not accept that which is not good for you. That’s like a person acting like they love you (man/woman) but have a hidden agenda in mind. Don’t accept those things that are not honorable or appear to be honor (this is where discernment is key).
- Honor God as sovereign,The Almighty.
- The thing you value, is the thing you treasure.
- Teach your children and those around you to honor God and people.
2. Are You Being an Example Worth Following?
The male in my life growing up would say “don’t do as I do, do as I saw.” That type of example and leadership is disgusting. If you don’t want those watching you to mimic or model you, change your actions. Children need role models inside and outside of the home. What kind of role model are you?
- Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it (Proverbs 22:6).
- If you steal or sleep around with person after person. Don’t be surprised if you child grows to follow that same example. Becoming a thief and a hoe.
- If you lie all the time don’t be surprised if those that follow you begin lying to you.
- Ask yourself do you want your child becoming like you?
3. Does Your Future Look Bright?
Even though I did not have a great example in my home, I was blessed to have other men and even women that poured into my life positively. God blessed me and has revealed Himself to me in ways that I could not have imagined. The Lord has taught me to be a Leader, a Husband, and a Father. All the things that I did not have growing up. “Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever (Ephesians 3:20-21). This has been true in my life and continues. Christ is working wonders in me.
- If Jesus Christ is in your heart, no matter what happens. Your future is bright.
- The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly (John 10:10).
Finally, if you can answer these 3 questions with a resounding YES. You are setting yourself up for GREATNESS!!! “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding (Proverbs 9:10). This generation and the ones to follow need great God-Fearing examples to follow. We must be the catalyst that brings forth change. Change came in Charleston, SC where instead of looting and rioting the people joined together and prayed. They Stood and continue to Stand United. That is just the beginning. Let’s make this spark into a FLAME!!!